Monday, October 15, 2012

Perspective and Politics

Isn't it the hot topic?  I know it is in my corner of the world.  Yes, I've been watching the debates.  I see the ads.

I may take a bit of a different stand on politics than most.  I think a quiet voice is better heard than a loud one most of the time.  The banter, the bicker, the complaints, the (few) encouraging words.... none of that convinces me like the voice of God within me.

I don't mean to be cliche'.  I just look for truth and the only truth we can depend on is the proven truth of the Bible.  I listen, but I focus on the still, soft, quiet voice in my soul... the one that tells me right from wrong... the one that whispers truth in my dark moments and when beautiful lies are dangled in front of me.

Your own ears will hear him [God].  Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go," whether to the right or to the left.  Isaiah 30:21

I don't believe I could ever tell someone how to vote.  That would go against my nature in every sense.  God gave you a mind, body, soul, and spirit.  Listen to the facts.  Let God tell you what is right and what is wrong.  I believe He gave you the capacity to determine that when He created you.  At the same time, I would strongly encourage you to vote.  I believe God calls us to action, and when He convicts us of what to do, we are sinning when we do not do so.  If He has convicted you to vote for a candidate, vote for them.

I can't pretend to take the place of God or I immediately become in the wrong.  So I encourage you to let Him speak to you.  And that means action on your part, too: you have to seek Him on the matter.

Let me leave you with this: an old Irish hymn that is definitely classified as one of my favorites.  It is a great reminder to me on where to keep my focus when I (often) lose it...

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart; 
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best thought, by day or by night, 
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

I would like to see this generation find perspective from the Truth.  This means (for most of us) a conscious perspective change.  Will you do it with me?

2 comments: