Thursday, December 29, 2011

The Ripple

Sometimes I imagine more than just 2 people read what I have to say on here. I imagine some people care about what is on my mind and in my heart other than a passing comment they hear from me.

Truth is, though, I love to write.

So it is with any passion. You do it not so much for the attention, but for the joy of the activity. And when you do it for the simple joy of doing it, you find shelter from critics and cynics. You may still be attacked, but you're not really doing it for their approval.

So I write, I sing, I bike, I travel, I tinker on instruments, I love people, I help people.

I know my writing doesn't win any awards, my singing doesn't turn heads, my playing doesn't soothe any soul, my loving is considered futile, my help is seldom noticed, I can only visit so many places, and I'm going to get all sweaty biking.

But this is who I am.  This is where I find joy.  This is how I express myself.  I cannot walk away from who I am - regardless of those critics and cynics - or else I fall into a life of confusion.

Don't forsake who God has made you to be.  Don't settle for what others tell you that you are.  Challenge it with the One who made you, and find out really who you are.

Everyone has something wonderful to add to this life.  Even you.  Even me.  Let's do it and do it well.

This weekend ends one year and starts a new one.  You have another opportunity to throw yourself as a pebble into a pond.  You have the opportunity to create new, beautiful, adventurous, calming waves with who you are.

Go ahead, make your ripple.

Happy New Year.

6 comments:

  1. "writing doesn't win any awards," yes it did in elementary school when your book won first place and you got to go to a writing workshop.

    "my singing doesn't turn heads," It does! More than one person has told me how blessed they are when they hear you sing - and I am always thrilled to hear you when you are singing at home or at church!

    "my playing doesn't soothe any soul" You're kidding, right? How many times did I come and lean over you as you were playing Praise and Worship at the old house and I told you how much you were blessing me and how God has given you such a gift in your playing (and singing)?

    "my loving is considered futile," I cannot think what I would do if you didn't love me. It has helped me get through so many hard times in my life - and that is from DAY 1 with you!! You have loved well as a baby, a toddler, a middle schooler, a high schooler, a collegiate, and an adult.

    "my help is seldom noticed," Um - not true. EVERYONE I talk to you knows you tells me how blessed they are by SOMETHING YOU HAVE HELPED THEM WITH, even if it was "just" a hug or a card of encouragement. IT IS NOTICED AND APPRECIATED!!!

    "I can only visit so many places, and I'm going to get all sweaty riding my bike." Okay, these things are true but remember that the sweat is removing all the poisons from your body which make you all the more healthy and able to do all the writing, singing, playing, loving and helping that you are SO GOOD AT DOING!

    YOU ARE AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sing in front of people. I never have been talented enough to play the piano, despite having 4 years of lessons. I've never ever won anything for my writing, and my mother never said anything remotely as nice as your mother said to you, so your love looks far from futile to me. I know I love you a whole lot. Heck! I don't even know how to post this thing, so blogging is out of the question for me. Love, Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ladies and Gentlemen, Well, the two that read my blog, the above comments were by my number one fans, and due to how they received my message, I must clarify something.

    My post was only intended to motivate you to greatness based on YOUR desires and passions, not to fish for compliments.

    That being said, a compliment is seldom a bad thing, so thank you, ladies, for them. :)

    Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog stinks! Just kidding! I love your byline and i loved your blog - you are mature beyond your years. you know if the accounting thing doesn't work out, maybe you could write for a newspaper or magazine - just a thought. Happy New Year !! Best wishes to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great, Sharon. :) Maybe a side job? Happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read it, though belatedly. You are incredibly special, and even more so in God's eyes.

    ReplyDelete