Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hemmed In

Have you ever had a dog or a cat as a pet?

If so, you will know the sweet comfort that comes when they sit next to you.  Or perhaps, they fell asleep next to you one day while you were taking a nap.  These are precious moments.  They exude trust from this little warm body.  They know they will be safe with you, and they are fully confident that they are, for that moment, OK.  A knock on the door may cause them to jump, but in that moment, you are their rock.

You “hem them in” with just being you.  To hem is to swaddle, to protect, to hold close: like a mother does with her baby. 

I want you to be hemmed in.  I want you to know what that is like.  I want you to find comfort, your “safe-zone”, your home-base, your protection in God.   He does this.  He will hem you in if you let Him.

“You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from far away.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely.  You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me.”  Ps. 139:1-5

Just as you might comfort an animal by petting them, so God wants to comfort you with not only His love, but with His hands.  What are you overwhelmed with?  He wants to hold you close while you are yet living your life.  He alone can provide the comfort that will see you through.  Will you go to Him today?



Duke and I watching a movie... ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love letting Him hem me in! Love this! Love the picture!

    ReplyDelete