Sunday, May 27, 2012

Israel Travel Diary-International Flight Tips

International travel can take a huge toll on a body and a mind.  Don't plan on going on a long flight without keeping these things in mind.  I've made treks on 22-hour flights to Africa, 8-hour flights to Germany, and 12-hour flights to Israel now.  Trust me, I have some good input here!  :)

1. The eye mask and small pillow really does work.  
I've not always been an eye mask wearer.  Pillows are usually a staple for me on a flight over 3 hours. But this last trip I made use of an eye mask for the first time.  I have discovered that the eye mask really helps the mind focus on resting.  Without the distraction of light, your eyes are able to relax and let the rest of your body relax as well.  Did you know that we were actually made to wake with the sun and sleep with the lack of sun?  Our bodies respond strongly to light, so if you can control the light, you have the upper hand on getting to that elusive rest.  The neck pillows simply keep you from getting a kink in your neck.... at least... you'll get less of a kink than if you don't use one.

2. Get on the new schedule immediately.
One travel tip I read before I left - and I used this last trip - was to go ahead and set my clock to the time of the location I'm headed to.  Since Israel is 7 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, I set my clock forward 7 hours as soon as we boarded the international flight.  This really helps prevent jet lag.  I've noticed that as you cross the time zones, you can really lose all sense of time in general since you're chasing the sun instead of sitting still.  This is where your eye mask will come in handy as well.  If you set your clock to the time of your destination, and sleep according to those schedules, you'll find jet lag is not as much of a problem.  I used this technique on the flight back to the states as well.  We left at midnight Israel time, 5pm EST, so I waited until about 3am Israel time (8pm EST) before I took my first nap.  If you have trouble sleeping, I would highly recommend talking with your doctor about taking some sleep aid with you to help you coordinate your body's sleep times.  (ie: Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, etc... I am not recommending these specific pills, I'm just giving examples!  I'm no doctor!)

3. Find the handicap restroom.
Really!  On international flights, it is imperative that you get up and do a lap or two about every hour.  Our bodies get "stuck" sitting for so long, causing awfully poor circulation, poor blood pressure, and can cause serious, life-threatening conditions if we don't take action.  My friends and I got up together and took laps around the plane - doing our best to not disturb other travelers - but to stretch our legs and encourage circulation. I also found that the handicap restroom has enough room in it to do squats!  It sounds so silly, but there are certain ways you just cannot move on a plane, and this provided the room and privacy to not be completely annoying to other passengers.  Please make sure there is not a handicapped person waiting to use the restroom, though.  ;)

4. Bring your own treat bag.
Sure, the airplane will provide a meal or two sometimes, and maybe a few treats, but they have the uncanny ability to serve them at the most inconvenient times.  While the food may be edible, and perhaps even tasty at times, it is seldom truly nutritious.  Try to find snacks you can pack in your carry on  luggage that will get through security.  I've found that fruit bars, granola bars, nuts, jerkey, and crackers all seem to be fine to take.  Choose foods that will fit your own dietary restrictions, try to stay away from terribly salty foods, and don't forget that fiber is your friend!  Also, sports drinks offer powder mixes that you can dump into your water to provide extra electrolytes. I bought bulk packages of individually wrapped snacks and split them between me and my friend.  The leftovers I packed in my checked baggage to refill our treat bags on the way back.  This worked wonderfully!  It was also nice to be able to pass a treat along to someone else who had perhaps a bad taste in their mouth or a sick stomach.  You never know when you'll be able to be a blessing to someone else!

5. An hour spent on Sudoku is still an hour spent.
It is advice I feel like I stumbled onto.  Right before I left for Israel, my friend Myron came into town.  An avid traveler himself, he made the comment "an hour spent on a silly Sudoku book is still an hour spent", and I feel all the wiser for it.  On a twelve hour flight, bring stuff to do.  If you spend an hour on a puzzle book, that's only 11 more hours you have to "endure" the flight.  Find activities you can pass the time with.  When you combine these activities with your hourly-ish plane laps and schedule-preparing naps, you will find the time passing.  Not necessarily passing more quickly, but passing.  Try to remember mind over matter as well - don't let your mind get in panic mode about how much time is left.  Focus on how much time has passed and tell yourself "I've been on the flight 45 minutes - that's 45 minutes closer to the time I get to get off!" instead of the opposite.  It does no good to become claustrophobic on a flight when you're 40,000 feet in the air.  If you are prone to claustrophobia, talk to your doctor about some anti-anxiety medication you can have available for your trip should it become necessary.

6.  Keep a positive attitude.
Make every effort to stay positive, and when you've exhausted those efforts, make new ones.  Decide in advance to make a friend with someone around you.  The person right next to you may not want to talk, but there is almost always someone who wants to be heard.  Ask them about their life - simply from a factual standpoint.  Don't expect to find all their faults and change them, simply get to know them, respecting who they are.  They may ask you in return and you may make a great international friend.  Be kind to the flight attendants.  They are stuck on this long flight with you and probably hear a lot more annoying things from people than the snoring person behind you.  Cut them some slack and throw around a joke or two.  We found that it got us extra chocolate and water when they were told to be stingy.  Just be friendly!  Nobody likes the circumstances, but everyone is looking forward to the destination.  Enjoy practicing your smile and lowering your blood pressure.  You will find everything so much better!

Happy Traveling!

This is Shalev (means "peace" in Hebrew).  His mom was on the plane traveling to see her husband in Israel.  One of the most beautiful babies I've gotten to hold on a plane!  He was precious - loved to dance and laugh.  And by building a bit of a relationship with his mother, we were able to help her keep an eye on him when he got anxious.  A wonderful mother! A wonderful baby!  This is why you meet people on planes!  What a sweet little joy!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Really great advice and a very enjoyable read! Thank you for posting it for all of us who might someday travel as far and as long as you have such that we can make good use of it :~)

    ReplyDelete