Sunday, December 11, 2011

Remembering the Good in the midst of Tragedy

December 7, 1941 was a terribly tragic day in the beautiful Pearl Harbor.

I think of how many family members were looking forward to seeing their serviceman come home and spend a short holiday with them in just a few weeks. I think of how many servicemen couldn't wait to go home and hug their family members and just spend time with someone that they knew they would feel safe sharing their heart and their joys with.

What a terribly tragic day. 

And yet at the same time, I cannot ignore the incredible sacrifice that was given that day.  The servicemen, and their families who lost them, gave up so much for a war that we were able to eventually win.  They didn't have to, but they did.  And they knew all along that the sacrifice was a possibility.  This sacrifice has not redeemed the attack on Pearl Harbor, but it certainly shows a good thing: honor.

This is real honor to me - someone who knows the risk, someone who knows the sacrifice, someone who knows the need anyway, and who does the necessary to protect the ones they care for so dearly. 

70 years ago, 2,402 Americans were killed.  2,402 families were shattered.  And this tremendous sacrifice has made it possible for me to live my life today - a free, victorious life full of promise.  I hope I live my life with as much honor in my respective life purpose as all of those who sacrificed so much on December 7, 1941. 

And if they could all read this, I would want to say with all my deepest gratitude:

Thank you.





To read more about Pearl Harbor, you can find some information here.

No comments:

Post a Comment