Monday, September 17, 2012

Robin's Peanut

My friend, Robin, has a dog named Peanut. She found him abandoned at the side of a major highway quite a while ago, and couldn't help but show him mercy and compassion.

She took him in and he quickly adapted to farm life with all the other animals. Now he runs and chases ducks with the other dogs, gets into he chicken coop to explore while Robin is collecting eggs, and most importantly, he is full of gratitude toward Robin. There is no denying that he knows she rescued him, she loves him, and she shows him mercy every day. Being a stray, street dog doesn't deter her from letting him romp and make mistakes. She readily shows him mercy.


And so God is with us.

Romans 9:16
So it is God who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it.

So what, then, can we do positively with mercy when we have been given it?

1. Be thankful for it
2. Reciprocate it (give it back to others)

There's nothing more. I can't earn it, and I don't have it as an option to buy at the store. All I can do is receive it gratefully, and give it back to others.

This week, I want to practice receiving mercy gratefully, and lovingly passing it on to others when they, too, don't necessarily deserve it. I know I'm setting myself up for a challenge, but it's worth it if the God I love so much is glorified in me.

Will you join me? If you have a mercy story you can share, I'd love to hear it! Leave me a message below!

No comments:

Post a Comment