Sunday, April 8, 2012

Judgment Scars

One of the most challenging events I find myself in is choosing to love a friend despite their false judgment of me. 

I am fully aware that I've done the same - judged falsely.  And I'm so thankful for my friends who have looked beyond my words and remembered my heart.  False judgment can really cause scars.  I look at those friends now, and I see the scars that I've helped engrave.  I am not proud of it.  But, it helps me to remember two things:

1. I need to just walk away from the sinful urge to place my judgment on someone.  Who am I?  What do I know?  Only God can see their heart.  Only God can know where they stand.  I am not the Judge.  My perspective really doesn't count here.

2. I've been forgiven by this friend.  What humility!  To stare at the scar you have helped give someone and know that, even though they bear that scar, they have chosen to love you.  They have chosen to wear their identity in Christ and not pay any attention to the scar you have caused.  

Timely enough, this is a beautiful picture to me of how much God loves me.  Even though what I've done has hurt him, He has chosen to love me.  I hurt God when I do things that pound a nail into His Son's hands.  While this may seem backwards, don't let the timing throw you off - I definitely was part of what nailed Jesus to the cross.  His death was a prepayment for all the wrong I would do.  He didn't deserve it, but He took it anyway.  For my sake.  For yours. 

And this Sunday, this Easter Sunday, I'm remembering the scars I've caused, and remembering the forgiveness I've received in spite of them.  May God grant me the grace to pass that forgiveness on when others scar me.  This is real love.

Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment