Thursday, March 29, 2012

One for the saving

I jumped into a group of young adults here in SW Florida last week called "Connect".  The group is finishing up a 12-week study called "Vintage Jesus" by Mark Driscoll and this week's topic was on "What makes Jesus superior to other saviors?"

There was a question asked during the meeting that was compelling to me: who, right now, are you leaning on to be your savior? 

Savior is a term that is used to describe Jesus, but it's not specific to Him, necessarily.  Some people mentioned spouses, friends, or affirmation as their savior.  I know some people consider money or knowledge to be their savior.  I have struggled with success being my savior. 

2011 was riddled with "FAIL"'s for me.  Lots of great successes happened, of course, but so did some pretty large failures.  Specifically, I struggled with failing a state license exam over and over.  I sought help, sought perspective, and wrestled with the ups and downs of depression. 

Thankfully, God saw me through it all, and on the flipside, I can make out a distinct tie between my thought of success as my salvation. No, logically I would never have thought this would be me, but my actions and my response proved otherwise.

I am so thankful for this revelation.  The hard truth is this: success is not difficult for me, so the option to make it my savior will always be there.  Now that the temptation has been revealed, I can make a conscious decision to walk away from leaning on it as a savior and to find my real salvation in Jesus. 

Every human is subject to this kind of error, because we all need a savior. 

I would encourage you to seek with God what things or people you may have placed in your life as a savior, and make a conscious decision every day to turn to Jesus instead.  Let's keep trusting Him, together, to come to our rescue. 

Isaiah 43:11  I am the Lord, and there is no savior besides me.



No comments:

Post a Comment