Friday, December 9, 2011

Skydiving

A lot of people are surprised to learn that I have been skydiving.  They tend to be more surprised when I tell them I can't wait to go again.

So often, I find we do things that we know we'll be able to control.  And security is not a bad thing, but for my own sanity, my own faith, and my own reminder that I am not in control anyway, I find it good for me to do things such as skydive.

It is true that there is a risk.  You risk death, essentially.  But you gain a realization that even falling through the air with a parachute, God is in control.  When I went skydiving, I placed my life in the hands of my tandem diver.  But I knew I could trust him to get me to the ground safely because he wanted to land safely too!

God can do the same, for the same reasons.  God's "landing" is when we reach heaven.  The salvation of Christ is our figurative parachute, and as long as we stay strapped to God, we can rest assured we will land safely in His arms in heaven one day.

Interestingly enough, I did not have a fear of jumping.  I had a thrill of getting to do something I may never get the opportunity to do again, and I took it.

We must trust God enough to jump with Him and to come to salvation in Christ.  If we don't we risk doing something that we may never get the opportunity to do again.  Don't wait until tomorrow to decide to go jumping with God.  Make every day a dive in the sky.

And keep your mouth closed.  It helps you breathe.  :)


Skydiving July 2010 - Me and my tandem, Chad


The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance! - Psalm 16:6

No comments:

Post a Comment