Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Least of These: Samaritan's Purse

December is a month I think about giving.  Not just for the potential tax benefit, but most importantly, for blessing others in need.  Giving, to me, is one of the most fulfilling things in the world.

Some people give money, some give time, some give encouragement, some give prayers, there are many ways to give.

I was recently talking with a friend who said they are always looking for opportunities to give to "worthy causes", and it spurred me on to thinking about some of the "worthy causes" I'm close to.  I thought I'd share some with you.

Today, I want to tell you about Samaritan's Purse.  Samaritan's Purse is an organization that is one of the first responders for aid in foreign and domestic emergencies.  They are in as quickly as the Red Cross and have stations all over the world to ensure quick distribution of needed items to people in crisis.

I am really excited about what Samaritan's Purse is doing for Christmastime.  In addition to providing thousands of shoe boxes to children all over the world with Christmas gifts and discipleship programs to help them learn about God, they have compiled a "Gift Catalog" for people to choose the type of gift they would like to give toward.

For example, you can "Feed a Hungry Baby for a Week" with a suggested donation of $9.

$9.00

That's all it takes to feed one hungry baby for a week.

Do you like to shop for clothes or shoes?  How about this "Crisis Needs: Shoes and clothing".  You can provide an outfit or a warm coat for someone for a donation of $25.00.

And how about this one? Purchase baby chicks for a family to start making an income and work their way out of poverty.  I know a family who has decided to not purchase gifts for each other this year, but to purchase livestock for someone in poverty to be able to start making an income.  They choose sheep and have decorated the base of their Christmas tree with stuffed animals of sheep to represent the sheep that they purchased.  Look at this quick video to see how something like this works:



I've provided a link to the Samaritan's Purse Gift Catalog here for your convenience.  I would encourage you to take advantage of giving something to a child or a person in need this Christmas via Samaritan's Purse.

I promise your gift will not go unnoticed.  You never lose anything when you give to God. And when you give with this heart attitude, you are investing in something that you will never lose value in.

"When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, He will sit on His glorious throne.  All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.  He will put the sheep on His right and the goats on His left.  

"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.  For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited Me in, I needed clothes and you clothed Me, I was sick and you looked after Me, I was in prison and you came to visit Me.' 

"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and invite You in, or needing clothes and clothe You?  When did we see You sick or in prison and go visit You?'

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of Mine, you did for Me.' " - Matthew 25:31-40

No comments:

Post a Comment