Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Quickest Way to Get Rid of Junk Mail

I probably get 10-20 new e-mails a day.  Most of the e-mails I get are split between advertising or marketing and articles to read.  Do you have the same thing happen?  Or, are you the kind of person who gets 95% of your paper mail as “junk mail”, and an occasional bill just to spice it up?

And what happens to this mail?  Most of it gets deleted or trashed before it’s opened.  No, I don’t need new tires again this week, nor do I need to get another coupon deal to the local ant watching exhibit. 

Delete.  Shred.  Trash. {insert an old Batman exclamation here}

But then… then you see it.  That old friend sent you a card in the mail.  A new friend decided to e-mail you a personal message.  What joy and jubilation!  Well, I certainly delight in that event.  I’m like the person walking away from the mail box with a pile of junk mail left at the base of the post, carefully peeling back the envelope to my friend’s letter to preserve the sanctity of a real piece of postage.

The letter was addressed to "Auntie Crystal"!!
Blessed my socks right off.  :)

Sounds silly, right? But the fact is, letters are important to me.  I consider the time it takes a person to write them, what they may have sacrificed from their day to put a pen to paper or their fingers to a keyboard.  I consider the inflection in the person’s voice and their facial expressions as I read what they wrote.  I smile at their humor or tear up to their grief.  I look forward to the event that I was invited to.  I relish in them: soak them in like sunshine.  They bring me such joy that I tend to go over them again-and-again.  Do you do the same thing??

Several years ago I received an amazing book of letters: the Bible.  They are like a collection of treasures all written down in one book for me to soak in: the letters from God.  One verse at a time, I see His intentionality and His consistency through the thread of history.  One word at a time I see more of His personality and His beauty. Each time I pour over them, I’m reminded that I still don’t know Him completely, and it compels me to keep going back. 

Consider this today: How we perceive God will determine how we receive His letters.  Just as an informal advertisement goes to the garbage, if we see God as an informal God, we will discard His letters.  If we see God, though, as a loyal friend who delights in us, and in whom we can delight in, we will see His letters as a treasure and keep pouring over them.

My hope and challenge to you is this: delight in God’s Word (the Bible) as you would an unexpected surprise letter from one of your closest friends and see what He wants to show you.  I am confident you will find a depth to Him like you have never known, and you will grow in peace and understanding as you dwell on His words all day long

1 comment:

  1. Your site is refreshingly positive and your content is well-written.
    Thanks for pointing me here, even if it was restricted to do. :)

    ReplyDelete