Monday, June 3, 2013

Finding a Little Bit of Light

I've got some family friends that travel every so often and ask me to house and dog-sit for them.  They live about an hour away from where my home is, so I make it into my own little retreat and look forward to the time with their tiny Yorkie's.

As I fall asleep at night, silky fur snuggled around me, I can look up and see a skylight in the roof of the adjoining bathroom.  It's a small one - maybe one foot across - but it lets in a good amount of moonlight for it's size.

Earlier in the night, though, I was taking care of things around the house, and I couldn't tell that any light was coming through at all.  Of course, the lights in the house were on, so there was not enough contrast to tell.  But when the lights were out, that moonlight glowed enough to not turn on anything else, and still see where I was going.

Sometimes we find ourselves in a dark spot.  We don't really like to be there.  We usually pray, begging God to bring us into the light, as we should!  But so often, we get discouraged or downcast in the the darkness.

Let me encourage you today: look for the skylight.  Look for that shimmer in the darkness and ask God to let your eyes adjust a little.  God will never abandon you, but sometimes our sense of fear is heightened in those dark times.  Let Him show you things with that little shimmer - just enough to get you through until morning.

There's a sunrise coming.




No comments:

Post a Comment