Thursday, October 6, 2011

Learning about Judgment


I have been reading Joyce Meyer’s book Battlefield of the Mind* for about a year.  In chapter 13, she talks about loving other people and how our judgment denies our love for them.  She recounted a story about how she couldn’t figure out why she was so sick during one of her later pregnancies, but that God reminded her of how she had judged another lady a few years before for the exact same condition.  Only, she was condemning the lady for a lack of self-discipline.  When Joyce realized this, she confessed that she had been wrong and was back to health in no time.  

It was just a page.

All it takes sometimes is a few words to remind us of our own deficiencies, doesn’t it?  

I was greatly moved by this passage, because it challenged me to think about my own past and times I’ve judged people, later struggling with the very same issue they were struggling with.  Needless to say, I was quickly reminded of how imperfect I am.  

I wouldn’t call myself someone who is quick to judge others, but it is obvious I can be, and I have been.  Seldom have I met a human being that is not quick to judge.  It’s not intentional, but it’s certainly evident. 

For just as you judge and criticize and condemn others, you will be judged and criticized and condemned, and in accordance with the measure you [use to] deal out to others, it will be dealt out again to you. Matthew 7:2

My prayer today, then, is this:
Lord, PLEASE make me aware of the times I start to judge someone!  Help me to remember that I do not ever see the big picture, and please warn me to stop before I complete the act.  I do not have the “luxury” of judging others since I am just as easily in the wrong.  Make me aware, every time, of your advice in Matthew 7, and give me grace to look past the situation and love the person no matter what.  Thank you for your reminders of how to better love others, and better serve you. 

Do you have a special reminder to help you make good decisions in these “judgment times”?  What advice can you give based on your experience that has helped you walk away from a judgmental situation?



*Meyer, Joyce. Battlefield of the mind: winning the battle in your mind. Faith Words Edition. Pgs 139-140. (c) 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment