Sunday, September 18, 2011

True friends are a treasure

Sometimes we think we have a true friend, and then they do a series of actions that cause us to realize they’ve not been trustworthy for some time.  No person is perfect, so it’s not fair to judge a person’s trustworthiness based on a handful of actions, but wisdom will whisper to you whenever it’s time to move on from that friendship.  

I’m thankful for my friends, for the ones who challenge me, comfort me, are trustworthy, are faithful, are honest, keep good boundaries, are quick to forgive, and know that the best solution to any crisis is not a word, but to go with me to God.  These are the qualities I find in my closest friends.  And they embody to me the royalty talked about here:

Whoever loves a pure heart and gracious speech will have the king as a friend.  Proverbs 22:11 (NLT)

I love verses on friends.  Here are some more from Proverbs that help me remember how to be a good friend:
  • As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend. Proverbs 27:17 
  • There are “friends” who destroy each  other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother. Proverbs 18:24
  • The heartfelt counsel of a friends is as sweet as perfume and incense. Proverbs 27:9
  • Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy. Proverbs 27:6
  • A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. Proverbs 17:17
  • An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars.  Proverbs 18:19

If I were to pick a challenge for anyone reading this, consider what kind of friendship qualities tend to build you up in your faith, and which ones tend to break you down in your faith.  If you have a friend that takes you away from what you know God has for you, it doesn’t mean you have to get rid of that friend, but consider the amount of time you spend with them, and the amount of influence they have in your life. It may be time to prune some friendships.  And if you find that you’ve pruned so much that you have no more good friends, ask God to bring you the close friend you need.  He knows when we are trying to please Him, and He honors our obedience to Him.  AND, He has done this for me every time I’ve asked for it, so I know it’s true.

SOMEONE NEEDS YOU TO BE A GOOD FRIEND TO THEM TODAY!  DO IT!!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment